ONLINE RESERVATION

The Sound of Music

The story of the von Trapp family has fascinated the entire world since the film version of “The Sound of Music” aired in 1965. When production began in Salzburg in 1964 nobody dreamed that this movie would become famous throughout the world. The leading actress, Julie Andrews, had recently made her successful debut in the Hollywood classic “Mary Poppins” and seemed predestined to play the part of a nanny.

Shortly after Max Reinhardt’s son, Wolfgang, bought the film rights from Maria von Trapp in 1956, the story was made into a German film. The musical version also enjoyed a huge success on Broadway, yet the worldwide breakthrough didn’t occur until Rodgers & Hammerstein’s film version was produced.

Schloss Leopoldskron was considered by the location-scouts as a filming venue most likely due to Wolfgang Reinhardt’s contacts.

At that time a white music pavilion stood in the palace park and played an important role in the film’s romantic scenes. Since the number of tourists increased tremendously after the release of “The Sound of Music”, the pavilion was moved to Schloss Hellbrunn in order to reduce the congestion in the park at Schloss Leopoldskron.

Schloss Leopoldskron has been dubbed the "Sound of Music" palace for more reasons than its outdoor movie scenes: one of the main rooms of the palace, the Venetian Room on the first floor, was completely replicated in order to be used as a film setting. The magnificent handcrafted, gold wall panels and mirrors served as a model for the ball room scene in the film. It was also the backdrop for the private performance of the marionette theater.

In 1987, a special production called “The Sound of Christmas” was filmed at Schloss Leopoldskron, starring Julie Andrews, John Denver and Placido Domingo, thus re-establishing the connection to the movie.